Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Happily Ever After

I suppose, since I live in England, you'll want to hear my thoughts on the Royal Wedding.

Let me put it this way: On my way home from Barcelona, I stood in front of a small family of Brits who, for reasons unknown, snapped into American accents and started making fun of random Yankee words.

"Duuude, I'm going to go eat a baaaagel on the siiiidewalk wearing paaaaants."

Really? I thought. These are the words you're making fun of us for? Bagel? Sidewalk? Pants?

Two weeks later, I signed onto Facebook as Wills walked Kate down the aisle, and noticed several American friends had gotten up in the wee hours to celebrate the nuptials.

"I wish I was in England celebrating with scones," someone had commented. "Or maybe some Cadbury's! Or some biscuits! With my tea!"

Really? I thought. Scones? Biscuits? Cadbury's? So what?

In my book, Cadbury's is just a candy bar, bagels are sold at Tesco, and the scones are rubbish here anyways and I prefer the ones in Ireland. Maybe the magic is lost on me. Anyways, since the whole affair involved someone else's future sovereigns, I caught a few moments on the BBC iPlayer and got on with my day.

I will say this: when Prince William spoke the wedding vows, it occurred to me that he has the most stereotypically English accent in England. Which is, I suppose, as it should be. Even though, just for fun, sometimes I like to ask my friends how they enjoyed "the Royal Wed-din', bruv".

No comments:

Post a Comment