Monday, August 2, 2010

Primary Sources

I was so happy this morning to see this post ("Textbook Alternatives") on Confessions of a Community College Teacher, a blog written by the dean of a local CC.  For the first time, I'm hearing honest musings from the source about the textbook selection process, and the efforts being made to get around rising costs .  For anyone interested in looking at a breakdown of the pros and cons of e-textbooks, open-source materials, textbook rentals, etc., I would direct you here first.

I only hope that the trend is not heading towards what one commenter suggested: ". . . compile the texts from gutenberg, slap on short Wikipedia bios if they're that attached to the bios, and print the whole mess up at lulu.com for $12."  As an editor, using Wikipedia as a portion of your textbook makes me shudder.  God only knows what copyright violations, grammatical errors, and factual inaccuracies lie under that lid . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment