Friday, August 27, 2010

Detroit Rap City

This past weekend, my favorite travel companion and I completed our least favorite trip so far: the 14-hour roadtrip from Boston to Detroit.

A few words about Detroit: I grew up in its suburbs.  I'm rabid about its hockey team.  Even tho I live in Boston and root for the Sox, I'm happy Johnny Damon decided to stay with the Tigers.  Last weekend we drove into town in time for the end of the Woodward Dream Cruise, and so noticed at least seven or eight old Cadillacs puttering down the highway.  It's probably not as dangerous as they say, but we do have more and more abandoned buildings every time I come home.

Most importantly, I do know where 8-Mile is.  This is the number-one question I'm asked when I'm abroad and someone finds out I'm from Detroit.*  In fact, I usually reply, 8-Mile Road runs through my town.  I gain instant "street cred."  I just don't mention that 8-Mile is terribly long and, where it ends in my neighborhood, it's leafy and tree-lined and we change the name to "Vernier."  It's still 8-Mile.

That being said, this article reminded me that I have only seen one actual rap battle.  Where?  Well, in the Arts and Letters concourse at the University College Dublin, of course!  The battle was between three skinny Irish kids.  I don't remember who won.

Sheesh.  Just when you think you've got the world figured out . . .

*Except for the one Nepali border guard who said, "Do you make Ford? Vroom!" Excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment