Thursday, August 12, 2010

One Less Bad Beach Read

A friend approached me a few years ago asking for advice on getting his first novel published.  After the requisite congratulations for being able to finish the writing process--an accomplishment all to itself--I put on my editor hat and gave him the news no one who's just finished his novel wants to hear: commissioning editors won't read your book.

That's not to say that no one will read your book.  It just means that, in the course of the typical workday, thousands upon thousands of manuscripts are sent to publishing houses, quantities that are impossible for editors to handle.  They couldn't possibly parse through all that and still be at the edge of their seats for your "shocking plot twist" in Chapter 12.  Maybe some publishing houses have a low-level assistant read through slush piles, but most unsolicited manuscripts won't get a first glance.  My advice to him was, if you want someone to get your book under an editor's nose, you want an agent.

Agents know who publishes what kind of book, they know what editors are looking for, and best of all they know how to make your book like all of the above.  So, it falls to them to handle the thankless job of looking at unpolished Word .docs uncovering the next Steigg Larsson.  (As it happens, some agents are still too busy to read unsolicited work, but there are many others who are willing to take on new talent.  Everyone's got to start small.)

I bring this up because I got a little thrill of glee this morning reading articles in Slate and on Getting Past the Gatekeeper about the literary world's negative response to the influx of Eat, Pray, Love imitations.  As a traveler, as an editor, and as a person, I've grown a little tired of being asked whether my travel experiences--especially the time spent editing in India--were anything like Elizabeth Gilbert's.  (Quick answer: No.)  It makes me feel much better knowing that literary agents share my disdain.

It also makes me feel better knowing that agents and editors are aware of the cliche and are more than happy to avoid it.  That's the sign of a healthy creativity machine.  Bring on the next big thing!

---------
UPDATE:  The same day I posted this, I got asked about my Eat, Pray, Love experience by none other than my favorite yoga instructor.  You know what I said in response?  Ho Ho, Ha Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment