Tuesday, February 9, 2010

For Every Occasion

We are in the heat of Indian wedding season. Most Indian weddings don't happen until at least one astrologer has been consulted to determine the most auspicious date and time.  In fact, "auspicious", is a term thrown around more than casually when it comes to weddings.  I can always tell whether or not a day is auspicious based on the wedding center around the corner from my apartment.  If I see tents going up or confetti on the ground - auspicious.  Sometimes I'll see wedding tents on my drive home from work - auspicious.

If that's the case I know I can expect little sleep that night.  The other day a wedding celebration kicked off at 1 a.m. with electronic Hindi music, a DJ on a loudspeaker, and drums drums drums drums.  Did I mention I have thin windows? No soundproofing? No earplugs? In fact, just as I was typing this, another wedding drum has just started up.  Quite literally.  Today is definitely auspicious.

It being mid-February, this is the most auspicious period in the most auspicious time of year. Since each couple is aiming for the same astrological arrangement, you often have to bounce from wedding to wedding to give everybody your blessings.  Indians seem to know that marriages, like most things in life, depend almost entirely on luck.

-----

It's a painful irony that I came back from a weekend in Rishikesh to discover a close friend had lost a family member in a car accident.  While I was dipping my feet in the Ganges, my friends had been gathering back home to show their support and love.  By the time I heard, I wouldn't have even been able to get to the airport before the wake began.

In the emails he sent out to tell us the news, my friend repeated the same advice: Hug your families. One of the last things I did before coming to India was to attend a good friend's wedding.  I appreciate now the distance I've traveled since, and how different it is to live and work somewhere rather than just vacation.

It's unfortunate that I'm unable to be with my family tonight, but it's a small consolation that new families are starting up right now all over Delhi.  I can't give my loved ones a hug, but I can wish them luck.  I'm wishing them luck tonight more than ever.
The Ganges, Rishikesh 6-2-10

No comments:

Post a Comment