Wednesday, December 8, 2010

One for the Gipper

Adding to the stress of finals, we're getting close to decision time on our dissertation topics.  I've narrowed down my field of interest to educational publishing in emerging markets, particularly Latin America.  Most likely I'll be creating in-depth case studies of three countries: Chile, Mexico, and Brazil.

"Oh!" said a classmate, upon hearing my suggestion.  "Did you know I'm from Brazil?"

"Yes," I replied. "I've been meaning to ask you about the topic, and I'll definitely be taking you to lunch next semester to hear more about what you think."

"That's great," she said.  "Although I should warn you, I've lived in the States for the past fifteen years."

This time it was my turn to ask, "Did you know I'm from the States?  Where did you live?"

She replied, "South Bend, Indiana."

I could have jumped out of my skin. "That's incredible!  I went to Notre Dame."

Now she jumped.  "I used to work in the Hesburgh Library!  My husband got a PhD from Notre Dame."

For those of you keeping score at home, that means I've met fellow Domers in places ranging from Everest Base Camp in Nepal to my own MA in International Publishing course in Oxford (via Brazil).  It's not every day you find yourself reminiscing about Touchdown Jesus when you're supposed to be talking about the educational system of Chile.  Go Irish, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment