Friday, March 5, 2010

Language Games

I had my first author conference call today for the adaptation I've been handling as a development editor.  The professor is based in Bengaluru, near the southern tip of India in the state of Karnataka.  My boss and I sat together in a conference room sharing a speakerphone, listening while the professor's assistant dialed us in and summoned him to the line.

The professor was in another meeting, so his assistant blurted out a string of other-language unintelligibles and put us on hold.  While soothing jazz played over the intercom, I turned to my boss and conversationally asked, "What did he just say?"

My boss shook his head like, What a question.  "Oh, I have no idea.  He was speaking in his native tongue."

I had been assuming that because what I'd heard wasn't English, it had to have been Hindi.  It was then that I remembered there are twenty-two official languages spoken in India.  That doesn't even count the unofficial combinations.  I find myself reading signs without realizing, that loopy non-roman alphabet isn't even devanagari.  I could be looking at a third (fourth, fifth, sixth...) language without even knowing it.

Here I was proud of myself for buying groceries in Hindi.  Arre wah.

No comments:

Post a Comment