Sunday, April 10, 2011

My Fair Lady

It's official: I am terrible at vacationing.

My Easter break began last Thursday, and since then I have had exactly zero hours of downtime. In fact, I've been gearing up for what is the second-largest book fair of the European circuit: the London Book Fair.

While I hope it's nowhere near as hectic as Frankfurt was, I still have some major 'firsts' on the calendar. On Monday I will have a chance to sit in with the licensing agency I've been researching for this entire year, to discuss digital rights with a number of platforms including Amazon and Kobo. Then on Tuesday I'm actually volunteer, and there's a chance I will be leading around famous authors and finding them bottles of water. Wednesday is my day off, when I track down those elusive Brazilian publishers and try to get some interviews scheduled for my dissertation.

With all of these adventures it will be worth a moment to stop and appreciate the setting. Earl's Court, besides being the site of my previously described Great Britain Beer Festival adventures of 2008, is a historic venue for anyone who's any sort of fan of British music. How ironic I'll be sitting in my dress shirt and pressed trousers in the same room where Mick Jagger once performed this?

No comments:

Post a Comment