Thursday, September 16, 2010

Oxford


Yesterday I watched the sun rise over Canada hours before my plane left the US.  Today I watched the sun rise over Ireland hours before I landed in the UK.

Dear God I am so tired.

Navigating Oxford has been easier than anticipated.  The first person I ran into on campus was the very man I had been incessantly emailing with to arrange my housing.  Before I even realized it was him, he had correctly guessed my name and flat number and the keys were dangling from my hand.  It certainly helped ease the frustration of the following one-mile walk from campus to the flat, all the while carrying 100 pounds of gear.

Look at that backpack!  The bulges have bulges!
There's a silver lining even here, of course.  As my favorite travel companions will tell you (with some dismay), the more tired I am, the more efficient I become. I was home, unpacked, and had the furniture rearranged even before lunch.  Thanks, jet lag!

At the moment the only thing I haven't nailed down is the internet and a phone. I'm sure I'll have time to get those sorted in the morning, but for now I've solved the problem temporarily by discovering a happy hour and free Wifi at the neighboring pub.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment