Monday, September 20, 2010

Merry Old England

My first impressions of Oxford, UK, are as follows:  These. Buildings. Are. Old.

I've had the luxury of time these past few days, and have used every second to wander through town exploring new backroads and alleys.  In fact, the whole city appears to be backroads and alleys, lined with cobblestones and flanked by high stone walls.




On one of my walks I stumbled upon the Christ Church complex, on the south side of town.  Christ Church is one of the oldest colleges of the University of Oxford, and the buildings have been standing since the 14th century.  Lucky students actually take classes here, have dorms here, and spend their formative years in the shadow of these great buildings.


Of course, this is all information I gleaned off of Wikipedia after I got home - at the time, I was just soaking in the scenery and wondering where I was.


I mostly viewed the college from afar, preferring to walk through the nearby Christ Church meadow.  Quickly, my attention was diverted by something a little more interesting, given my adventures the other day.  Once again, in the middle of the city, the grass was littered with cows.

Judging from the size of their horns, however, it doesn't look like this meadow is open for jogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment