Saturday, May 29, 2010

From Sea To Shining Sea

Thank goodness for long weekends.

The American custom publishing editorial season is at its peak right now, given that we're three months before most universities begin the academic year.  Since coming home from India I've barely been able to come up from my desk for air, and unfortunately despite a happy few weeks of feeding the beer and pizza meter, it was about time for a long weekend.

It's apt that we're observing Memorial Day, because I've been planning a long afternoon of uploading four months of photos onto Facebook and catching up in person with neglected friends.  When I do stop to think about it, I'm not quite sure I have my feet on the ground yet - it's been a bouncy landing - so it will be nice to remember all of the wonderful things about the U.S. that I had been missing while abroad.

Last night, for instance, I was standing on the subway while a redheaded teenager sat on the platform playing the sitar.  Across from me was a girl my age wearing a headscarf, and behind her were a couple of college students in dresses and cowboy boots.  We all know that India is a wild and wacky place, but it's easy to forget the diversity in my own backyard.  I'm sure it's not the only spot in the world where a lot of different groups come together and share the neighborhood, but it's one of the rare countries where anybody can show up and find a niche and call themselves at home.

That's been the idea, anyway.  We're not perfect, and we're not always beautiful, but I now appreciate how it is after all a land of opportunity, if you can make the most of it.

Besides, how can you not love how Boston harbor looks at twilight.

No comments:

Post a Comment