Friday, April 16, 2010

Dog Days

Show me a picture of a shady tree, and I will show you a picture with at least seven dogs in it.  The animals here seem to have a sixth sense for cool spots, and they don't care if it's in the middle of the street or directly under the back wheels of a tractor.


Once, my coworkers and I traveled to a neighboring campus for a quick meeting.  We parked our car and headed inside for a brief fifteen minutes.  When we came back outside, a pair of puppy legs were protruding from beneath the front axle.

"There's a dog under your car," I warned as I reached for the passenger door.

My coworker signed heavily.  "Actually, there are several."


Sure enough, three dogs immediately dragged themselves back into the sunlight and trotted down the street.

Even the monuments aren't immune.  Puppies drape themselves over ruins, blissfully unaware of the crowds milling past them on either side.  I once came across an entire pack of dogs at Humayan's Tomb, which the guard pointed to and said, "Grandfather, father, children."  Looking closer, I could see the family resemblance.

Tombs were built by royalty, of course, and Indian royalty in particular knows how to keep cool.  Here's one dog who was smart enough to take advantage of that fact.

Makes me wish I had a pool of my own to play in.

No comments:

Post a Comment