Friday, January 15, 2010

Networking

I have never emailed so many strangers in such a short time ever in my life.

Two days ago I was finally able to announce the details of my assignment to my coworkers, colleagues, and - most importantly - Facebook friends. The response has been phenomenal.  On the one hand, a lot of people were surprised -- moving to Delhi isn't something most people consider a normal part of a publishing career.  (Ask my mother and she'll tell you it's not a SANE part of a publishing career.)  At the same time, everyone seems to know someone who's lived in Delhi, worked in Delhi, visited Delhi.  Their first question is, "Do you want me to put you in touch?"

I'm not too shy to seek out other expats, and I'm definitely not too shy to solicit recommendations on the best chaat stands.  My inbox is full of well-wishes and helpful hints.  It's a great feeling: even though I travel to Delhi by myself, I'm certainly not alone.  That's one of the benefits to the wired world we live in, and I intend to take advantage of it as best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment