Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I Predict A Riot

It's been a bad year for your correspondent and riots. I enjoyed a Thai riot during my trip to the company sales conference and a Nepali Maoist riot in Kathmandu on May Day. There have even been riots in London over school fees, teacher strikes, and now the 2011 budget unveiled this week has incited someone to hang a large "STOP THE CUTS" banner on the road heading to my university.

So it was with a sigh that I heard a ruckus this afternoon floating through my bedroom window. Another protest, I figured, and dismissed it from my mind. Not that I wasn't distracted throughout the afternoon by the occasional loud cheer and bursts of chanting.

Eventually I got curious and wandered down to see what the fuss was really all about. To my surprise, I discovered: it wasn't a riot at all.

It was the Indian cricket team fan club. At the pub next door.
There's even someone wearing an Indian flag

No wonder I didn't know what it was. Not even Six Nations Rugby can get Brits to cheer that loudly. A trip to the World Cup Cricket Finals, tho, and the place was going wild. I even heard the sound of drums coming from inside.

Well this is much more fun than arguing over pensions. Good luck, India!

2 comments:

  1. It was a fun match!! U should have watched it...next time write cricket as your choice of sport, and the english shall be very happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just forgot to mention, the guy wearing the Indian flag could run into trouble in india as using the flag for anything other than hoisting is illegal as per the indian constitution...:)

    ReplyDelete