Monday, January 3, 2011

The Gift That Keeps E-Giving

True to form, I bought almost every single one of my family's Christmas presents in a bookstore this year.  (The one notable exception was the Top Gear Stiggy Toffee Tin I bought for my boyfriend at Tesco.  Fantastic. But I digress.)  At one point I was even so brave to 'gift' an ebook to my younger sister.  But horrors!  The Amazon UK Kindle bookstore wouldn't let me send any ebooks!

Undaunted, I simply switched my account back to the US by tying it back to my US credit card.  The result was like the change from night to day.

As it turns out, the Amazon UK ebook store and the Amazon US ebook store are nothing alike.  True, they're different markets, but I didn't realise that by reconfiguring my Kindle to my Amazon US account I would gain thousands of books in the library and new features like gifting and, now, lending.  Now I even have Kindle bestseller lists and personalised recommendations to help me search, which is pretty significant when there are no physical books to browse through.

No wonder my English friends are still a bit curious when I rave about my ereader.  With a noticeably more dismal online shopping platform, it's not that difficult to imagine a lingering preference for brick, mortar, and binding.

And, by the way, Sis: you're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment