Monday, January 10, 2011

The Desert Island List

Now that my brief sojourn back in America is winding down, it's time to consider what American groceries to smuggle bring back into the UK.  More than once, I've wandered the aisles of Tesco pining for a Trader Joe's.  Soreen Malt Loaf and crumpets just can't compare to the comfort foods of home.

This afternoon, I bit the bullet and made my shopping trip.  In America we have a term, "Desert Island List".  It refers to the short list of things you would choose to take if you were to be stranded on a desert island for the rest of your life.  Consider this my Desert Island List, British Isles edition:
 - large bags of mixed nuts (2) - necessary because they are twice as expensive in the UK
 - dried edamame - the Brits have no appreciation for soy products
 - peanut butter - because it tastes terrible in the UK (no wonder they don't like it)
 - dried cherries - to remind me of my home state of Michigan
 - one more package of each of the above, in a chocolate-covered version (not kidding)
 - sweet potatoes, cornbread mix, and canned pumpkin - Southern US staples
 - various spices - sorely lacking from most UK meals

Who knows? On the return trip I may have a suitcase full of McVitie's and Cadbury.  Not that this would stop me from falling on the first plate of nachos I could get my hands on.

No comments:

Post a Comment