Friday, September 2, 2011

Boston, You're My Home


You may be wondering (or not) why it's been so long since my last post. To be honest, the long silence has been somewhat by design.

It was absolutely the right decision to plan five weeks of weekend travel in a row, with the big move back to Boston sandwiched right in the middle. Just four days after my arrival back in the country, I was off to Philadelphia to see old friends, next off to Michigan to see my family. I didn't take any photos of the trip, nor will I dig any out to catch up on posting. My brain, no matter how hard I tried to crank out an update, just wanted to stay off, and I knew it was better to leave it that way.

At the beginning of last week, however, I stepped out of Logan's Terminal B and realized I had no further plane travel scheduled. My suitcases would need to be unpacked and I would have to actually pick an address and stay with it for a while.

It's been nice to be back. Everything is just as I left it. In fact, oddly so. It seems like far more than a year and a half ago I was complaining about weird guys in yoga class after a jagged return home from India. I went back today and it was still the same people. Some of them even said hi and welcomed me back.

The only weird thing is that, for me, my last frame of reference was discussing how excited I was to find the bus from Oxford to London. When I see these people again, I want to say, "Hey! That coach left from in front of my flat!" Like they were frozen in time, still curious about my English day trip habits. For them, of course, time inbetween has filled with lots of other points of reference. They haven't been thinking about it. Life has gone on.

Not that my life hasn't gone on. It's just that, last time it went on in Boston this is what I was thinking about. I'm not the same person now. But I'll adapt.

In other news, I found a job. That's another reason I didn't write: no one wants to hear how boring it is to be unemployed. I did not want to talk about my interviews. Suffice to say, I'm happy to be using my new skills and knowledge in a way I never thought I would . . . and I'm lucky to have that chance.

The downside is, my job involves a lot of writing so I'm not sure what the repercussions will be for the blog. I would like to keep it up. I know several old classmates and coworkers read it occasionally, and, hell, I enjoy it. Time will tell how often I return to it, though. If life without travel starts to become boring, I won't share that here. I'll more likely just keep shtum until something new happens and I see fit to tell the world again . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment